Thursday, January 21, 2010

Riley's First Trip to the Dentist

Getting back on track with the dentist-going every 6 months for a cleaning-was one of my new year's resolutions. Growing up my mom and dad made my brother and i go every 6 months, rain or shine, sick or not...no matter what was going on in life, my mom had a talent at stopping time and getting to the dentist. (she was also the flu shot nazi, but that's another story!) Needless to say this is the FIRST thing i stopped when i moved out and went to college. I would only go when my mom would happen to ask if i'd been to see the dentist lately. That and i was paranoid i had some huge cavity getting bigger and bigger so finally i'd work up the nerve to go. I understand how important it is to go and to get my kids into the habit. Last week i called the dentist to set an appt and they had a cancellation that very day and were able to get riley and myself right in! (nice to get it over with and not have to think about it coming for a couple weeks)
Riley has no clue what or who the dentist is, as far as i know, so i told her we were going. I told her he was like a Dr. for you teeth and that he would count hers and maybe tickle them. She was in one of her "moods" that day and almost from the start didn't want to go. I was acting SO excited to go see the dreaded dentist but NOPE she wasn't having it. My mom came along to help babysit in the office and she was even telling Riley all the reasons she loves the dentist.
They were running behind and it was lunch time, good thing i packed some snacks. Riley was acting ok but having an occasional mood swing here and there.
Finally they bring her back to TRY to do x-rays. NOPE. i don't blame her on that one though, i could see how that would be a little scary as a 2 year old. No problem they say, she's young enough that they will only do what she is comfortable with.
I sat down in the chair with her and waited for the dentist thinking she wouldn't open her mouth but she surprised me and was VERY good for him. She was a little on the shy side but did everything he asked of her. He said nothing was "popping" out at him and we skipped the cleaning-i didn't want to scar her on her first appt!
They gave her a snow white toothbrush and some other goodies and sent us on our way. All and all it was a good appt.

4 comments:

  1. did you use my dentist or find someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the worst at going to the dentist...and I have a mouth full of metal to prove it:) Thanks for being such a great example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a WONDERFUL MOMMY!!! I need to be as good as you as a mommy :) Thanks for having kids before me so I can learn from you and your well behaved child :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dentist. I am like your mom about going every 6 months. My kids go little and just like Riley may not get x-rays or cleaning done. I bet she loved her Snow White toothbrush.

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?