Saturday, September 11, 2010

My First Duathlon

My father inlaw's stake hosted a duathlon (Run and Bike) so Josh's dad, my cousin Katie and myself decided to go and participate! I almost backed out the night before because we were going to have to leave at 6am the next morning and it didn't sound THAT fun...but Katie and i stuck with it and had a blast.
This was us before the race, getting warmed up. You can see all the bikes lined up behind us...
Our "lucky" numbers.  Take a good look at mine...remember it...

The 3mile run was first. Can you see "death hill" behind me as i've nicknamed it? The run started with about .05miles up hill then 1.5 down hill. So the entire second half of the race was up hill, most of it not too steep except the block right before the finish.

I had to throw in this picture of my goofy face. This is me finishing the first lap of the bike (3 laps total=9mile bike) when it just hit me that i still had to do TWO MORE LAPS ie:2 more laps up death hill. I knew from the get go the bike was 9 miles but almost the entire first lap i was like "this is fun, challenging but fun, almost there, almost done. ...wait...oh crap!"

And here i am SO happy that i just finished the race.  Can you see my bike tire hasn't even quite cleared the finish line and i have my hand up signaling a weak "woohoo".

Katie and I after the race with our favorite hill behind us.

Did you remember my bib number? #109...look at my time(middle sheet) 109.33. weird! I was joking that next time i should get bib #45 so i'll finish faster ;)
I have to say running a duathlon is WAY more fun then just running a race.  Can't wait to do more!

7 comments:

  1. Way to go! (Even though I think you're crazy for enjoying it!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you guys are studs! No wonder you both are looking so skinny!! I can run, but I can't swim very well and haven't been on a bike since the 7th grade, so I think triathalons are not in my future. I'm so impressed with you two girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know next time you do one, I would be thrilled to do one with you. Looks like hard fun :) YOU GO GIRL!!! Glad you did it and by the way you look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Jess!! Looks like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I would've said WooHoo! too! I HATE running UP hills....I might have just stopped when I saw it :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?