Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Can't Sleep...Thinking...

Put Riley to bed last night like normal.
Checked on her at midnight before i turned in.
Everything was good.
Woke up this morning to get ready for work.
Little coughs, calling for mom quietly, whiney.
"aw man, no peaceful getting ready for me"
I wait and listen, hope she falls back to sleep.
I get up and decide to check on her before i get dressed.
She can't breathe.
She's laying in bed sucking in air.
She's trying and trying but can't move the air.
"oh. my. gosh. JOSH!"
Thinking.Thinking.
Drive or 911?
She's going to turn blue. It's coming. What am I supposed to do?
Josh calls an ambulance.
We're holding her, trying to make her comfortable. Scared out of our minds.
I cry for about 2 seconds. No time to cry.
Our baby.
Our Riley!
Breathe...
Please breathe with me Riley,
Josh and I take turns getting dressed.
(not really interested in meeting the firemen in our undies)
What's going thru her head?
I hope she trusts me.
I hope i can help her.
A father's blessing.
Not sure i've ever heard anything better in my life.
Knowing my HUSBAND-hero-(interchangable right?) has this power. This incredible power to help our family. Help our daughter.
Unlock the door and wait.
Wait and wait for someone to help her breathe.
Finally I hear or feel the vibration of the fire engine coming down our small street.
Aww medicine.
She can breathe better.
Thank You.
thank you medicine, thank you josh, thank you firemen and paramedics, thank you police officer for your kind words, thank you Heavenly Father.
My baby is breathing better. What joy filled my heart.






After a short stay in the ER. A breathing treatment and some 02 Riley was as good as new. I'll let her words do the talking:

(keep in mind this is in the er on the gurney)

"Can i go swimming?"

I asked her to put her mask back on and she put the strap over her shoulder and said

"It's not a mask it's my purse"

Ok, someone get the nurse, i think she's all better.

19 comments:

  1. Oh man, how scary. Your poor little thing. Does she have full blown asthma? I know she has had quite a few breathing treatments in her life. She is such a doll and I'm glad she is on the mend. Thank goodness for husbands who hold the priesthood power. You have yourself a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary! I am glad this story had a happy ending. Love ya, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very scary! I am glad Riley is all better! Kiss her for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so not what I was expecting to read! Glad things turned out well! I hope I NEVER have to call 911 for any reason...especially for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tears! i'm so sorry you had to go through this... you're such a great and very strong mom. you faith in such a scary moment is inspiring....glad it had a happy ending...

    all my love!!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my... that is too scary! Glad she okay now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jess ... I'm sorry you had to go through this. I am certainly happy to hear that sweet Riley is feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. i just couldn't imagine that happening with hailey. i've had one incident with her where i felt i could never forgive myself if i didn't get to her as quick as i did. this is def not your fault. just keep her healthy and hopefully she's as sporty as her momma and as time goes she works up to not having these problems anymore! love you jessica! im glad she's ok now! she seemed to be doing better yesterday at oma's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s.
    just remember... heavenly father has your back! :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad she's better! I would have freaked out! Sorry that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, Total freak out moment!!! Don't you just LOVE modern medicine? Glad to hear she recovered good and got fast care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so scary!!! I'm so glad everything turned out okay, though. Cute little conversation though! What a girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica, that was such a wonderful story. I'm sure it was really scary but the outcome was great. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know just how scared you must have been. There is nothing more precious in this world than our children, and seeing them in danger like that....I am sorry you all had to go through that. But I am so happy she is okay, so happy you thought to have Josh give her a blessing, so happy that we have the Lord to watch over us. And Soooo glad to here is just bounced right back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am seriously crying right not, seriously crying! What if you had not checked on her and just stayed annoyed that he was awake early? Seriously what if??? O my gosh! I hope I am always taking that extra moment to check on my baby just in case! Actually I am going to check on Brooke right now....... ok she is good! Great job Jessica for following your instincts and I am sure inspiration. O my gosh what if?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Glad that she responded quickly to the medicine. Love that Josh was able to give her a blessing. Hope she doesn't have anymore incidents like that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. jessica! that is so scary! I am glad she's alright and so glad you have the priesthood in your home and that the Lord is aware of you and your sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is my worst nightmare! I am so glad it worked out so well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being a mom is so scary:) I'm glad everything is okay with Riley. She is so stinkin' cute...

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?