Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How Do I Keep Them Healthy?!

Josh and I took both Riley and Braden to urgent care two nights ago...ya i know, again! Riley had been coughing for about 2 weeks at that point (we took her the week before for her coughing and the dr didnt prescribe anything, just said it was her asthma blah Blah BLAH) but while i was at work this past wed. Braden started wheezing and coughing a bit. So by the time i picked him up it wasn't too bad but wayyyy back when riley had her first "incident" it only got so bad because we waited to take her, so this time josh and i pre-registered with the urgent care(sooo the way to go, it saved us one hour of sitting in the waiting room, we stayed home and ate dinner instead!)
The dr. looked at both of them, gave Braden a breathing treatment which helped, thankfully, a prescription for an inhaler for when/if he gets wheezy and gave them both antibiotics and riley prednisone(oral steroid) for her coughing (it helps with the inflammation of her throat basically) The Dr. said riley's right ear was SLIGHTLY pink, meaning an ear infection was just coming or just passing. Her coughing was again due to her asthma and he wouldn't give her the steroid but it was up to us...so he wrote the prescription for us and let us decide. He gave us orders to have a follow up with their regular ped's dr in about two days...
That brings us to the present. Just got back from their follow up where i found out Riley has PNEUMONIA and a major DOUBLE EAR infection. He left her on the med's the urgent care dr. gave her, said it wasn't his first choice but should work. And he switched the dosage of one of them. Braden he is thinking also has asthma and he gave him some prednisone to help with the wheezing. But said he wouldn't have given him any anitbiotics but now he needs to fnish the TEN day course because he already started them (and he hates the way it tastes, makes my heart hurt a little to give him that 3 x day!)
Needless to say i feel like going to the urgent care here and slapping that dr over the head and say what were you thinking? (and i liked him too! he was nice, i trusted what he said) i'm a bit frustrated...can her "slightly" pink ear turn into a bright red double ear infection and can she develop pneumonia in 1.5 days? maybe, but i doubt it. ALSO i was seen in urgent care a couple weeks ago for sinus stuff and the dr there (a different one) told me it was ok to take sudafed..in his words, no joke "it would just jack up your baby a little bit" now i THINK he meant to say "jack up" as in get him hyper...couldn't tell you for sure though, he was strange, trying to be sweet and nice and out going but ya...good thing i am a bit anal and i called several of my dr's (OBGYN, Ped's and Family practice) to double check and they all said a big fat NO to sudafed while breast feeding. It would of dried up my milk! and the urgent care dr knew i was breast feeding....
I feel like i no longer have faith in this urgent care, and that's too bad because it's so close and convienient.
So, question of the day, week, month, Braden's entire life so far...How do i keep them healthy?! I feed, bath, nap, play, let them get dirty but not too dirty, sing(off pitch and kind of crazy), cuddle, spank, and laugh with them...what am i missing?!

5 comments:

  1. I feel so bad for you. I have no magically answers. You sound like you are doing all that you can and are supposed to.

    And for your comment about my blogging. I have just had time to sit and blog and they all come on at once. I download pictures and then when I have a moment I post. So, when you look it is like days because all I had to do what write stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I am SO SO SO SORRY!!!!! That totally stinks! Totally, totally stinks! Don't they say that breast feed babies are supposed to be healthy as horses? It must just be the season?
    I love you and know that you are the most fab mom ever. You have adorable and very well behaved kids! You are a great mommy! Hang in there through the sickness! LOVES!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry....I really don't know what to tell you, I have been VERY fortunate to not have sick kids. My kids very rarely get sick....but I'm also not worried about germs at all. That's the only thing I can say about what I do.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear that! Yikes he said yes to sudafed??? what an idiot and prednisone? That's a heavy one. I don't have kids so once again no magical answers the only thing I can think of is tape double socks to their feet and scarfs around their necks. My niece is always sick and I think it's because she's an unknowingly cold two year old. Oh, and this gal at school says milk aggravates her asthma, who knows? Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nothing you are doing honey. It is the season. You have two now instead of one so Braden is naturally more prone to get sick at this age than Riley was. Makenna didn't get sick once her first year and Kellen has been on antibiotics twice already and a number of other minor things. It has been a tough flu and cold season. Hang in there...it will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?