Thursday, August 12, 2010

If I could live in a national park...

I'd pick Zion...it was BEAUTIFUL! We went to Cedar City for a family reunion and had a great time being outdoors.

In the car leaving home...Braden did enjoy being forward facing for this trip.
Our first (of many) potty breaks. This one happened to be on the side of the highway..our girl has NO shame!
Our cute little cabin...We stayed at a KOA where you could bring your trailor, sleep in a mobile home or cabin, or bring a tent...Our cabin was one bedroom, it had a full size bed, one set of bunk beds, a desk and chair and an air conditioner...it was perfect!
The pictures below were the first day/night we were there, just unpacking, enjoying family company and me walking/running braden around in the hiking back pack, he was cracking up when i would start galloping...who wouldn't?! (p.s.i need to find a hiking back pack, this was my bro. in laws and was great!!!)



Braden and Uncle Mathew getting ready to hike in Zion.


We all (meaning all of josh's cousins etc that were there for the reunion) got on shuttles and headed up for our first hike...we got all seperated but still had a blast.

This was our first hike, only a 2 miles round trip...I held Braden with the help of josh's dad and josh held riley the whole time (apparently we walked too fast and the water was dirty....she wasn't much of a hiker but loved being held!)
After we got back from this little hike we stopped to play in the stream. The current was really strong so josh just wedged himself between some rocks and let Braden play. He splashed forever and would stop to breath occasionally :)

This was the stream and view we had while the kids played...heck, while WE played! Pictures, of course, don't do it any justice.
The best hike...The Narrows (and Laurie i have to say i was thinking about you because you have to pass the "Angels Landing" trailhead stop on your way to the narrows...the bus driver mentioned that on some parts of that particular hike the trail is 3-4feet wide with a drop off of 800ft on one side and 1200 feet on the other. YES you are crazy for doing that!)
Back to the narrows. Ever since i heard about this i wanted to do it. Basically all i knew was that it was hiking in water and some places you had to swim through basically. And ya, that was right! It was sooo fun and of course gorgeous...
Josh is a stud and held riley the entire time on this hike, we left braden with the grandparents back on a different trail to rest. I needed both my feet, both hands and them some to manuver this trail...
That's how deep it was in some spots...You could walk to the other side of the stream and it wasnt' quite so deep, but where's the fun in that?

You should of seen the work it was to get into this spot...i'm impressed!
When we got back to the spot where the rest of the family was they told us we were gone for 3 hours! Time flys when you're swim-hiking.
The next day we hiked part of Kolob. Again...no words to describe it. This was a SUPER short hike(1mile round trip...that's how we roll...)
Even Riley hiked some of it

Josh's brother Taylor climbed way out, scared his mom half to death, and got an awesome picture...Now do you understand why i want to live here?!
These are the clothes and smirk you wear when you just peed on mom's sweater(aka her pillow), quickly, stuffed under your rear end before you peed in the car seat, AFTER you just stopped not once but TWICE to pee and poo in the last HOUR. Need i explain more...
The Origional Tee from the day, tigger pajama bottoms (comando) and water shoes...in her defense she tried really hard to hold it.
One great trip!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pictures for Shauna and Doug

11 comments:

  1. Wow so many great pictures!! Where to start . . . The cabin looks cute, the place looks gorgeous!, I totally want to hike the narrows too, I LOVE how Riley was hiking with 2 sticks, you got some really great pics of you and Braden, I would have whined the whole time hiking with a baby on my back, Riley is such a character and the pillow thing to protect the car seat thing- totally would have done the same thing, I LOVE the picture of Riley with the mountains in the background and the wind in her hair- framable!, and we should go on a hike!! Okay I think those are all the comments I have

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun. I guess since I am now from this great state that you love I better go try and see some of its sights. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I AM SOOOO JEALOUS you hiked the Narrows! I have always wanted too! lol...thanks for the shout out! I feel special being mentioned! And I was amazed you remembered that I did the Angels Landing Hike...and I don't know what I was thinking back then when I did that!?! I was CRAZY! I would honestly NEVER do that hike again...too scary! But looks like you guys had an AMAZING time!!! And we still need to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous you went to Zion! I LOVE it! Angels Landing and the Narrows are probably two of my favorite hikes ever!! Glad you guys had a good time! I love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Zion, almost 2 years ago and it was still my favorite vacation. Billy hiked some of Angels Landing with me but I had to finish by myself... you have to do it. There's a chain you can hold on to. Just don't go when it's windy! :oD
    I can't wait to talk more about it on Tuesday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW super great pictures! Looks like you guys had a total blast there! Seriously so stinkin cool! I love how you took Riley out on the Narrows hike, I would have never even thought to do that. You guys ROCK as parents you know that??? You do!!! Glad you did that and YES I THINK LAURIE IS CRAZY TOO for doing that Angels Landing hike, NOT FOR ME!!! I would be the faller!!!! Anyway great pics and looks like a super fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that looks like a really wonderful family trip. I love Zion too. I went on a family vacation there when I was 14 or so and we hiked the narrows. I loved it! I remember my step-sister had a broken arm and had a cast, which she tried not to get wet but it ended up getting so wet that we just took it off (it obviously wasn't a really serious break). A lot of great memories for you guys! I'm so glad you had fun - sometimes traveling with the little kids makes it feel more like work than play!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip. It is absolutely gorgeous there. I totally want to do that some day. And Riley is such a studly little hiker! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we absolutely love Zions! Last year, we hiked the Narrows...but it was actually closed, but we wanted to go anyway. I guess the rebels in us came out and we went and it was crazy because the current was so strong and it went up to our chins (keep in mind kev is 6'2!) we absolutely loved every bit of Zions. So happy you got to go with the family!! looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. by the way...YOU HAVE TO DO ANGEL"S LANDING!!! That hike is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we totally stayed at that KOA for our last family reunion! And went to Zion! Looks like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?