Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our Caterpillar

We planted our very first garden this year and it's going well! We have tomatoes and corn, green beans and cucumber going, oh and cauliflour but not sure if they are growing yet...It's kind of our experimental year, we're learning a lot of the how to's but happy to say it's hasn't been too hard!
So i was out looking at our tomato plants the other day and saw a caterpillar on one, and though sweet! I'll catch it and we can watch it grow and change into a butterfly. So i catch it and google how to take care of it etc...
My mother inlaw came over a couple days later and we showed her and this how our conversation went:
Lynne: "I don't think that will turn into a butterfly"
Me: "oh you think it will turn into a moth?"
Lynne: "I don't think that will turn into anything."
Me: looking confused "what? i don't get it, what do you mean?"
Lynne: "I'm pretty sure that's a tomato bug."
Me: "A what?"
Then she procedes to tell me these tomato bugs eat your plants and she hadn't seen one this big in years and years. I take her out to show her our garden and we found two more just like it! She taught me how to pluck them off and smash them-i couldn't watch, they are so big i felt bad! (and i'm not an animal lover)
Me: "I can't kill the one in the house, i've housed it and fed it for like 3 days! I even made it a cool cage...That's not a cage anymore, it's a prison camp!"


8 comments:

  1. Your garden looks amazing. I think I would flush the bugs or put them in the trash, good luck with your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks so good. We are proud of ours and it looks terrible compared to yours! Kes has been using something called 7 dust to keep the bugs away and it has worked well. I can't wait to see your harvest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally thought that was a caterpillar too! How funny! Hope your plants dont get eaten by those fakers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Jess, you're so funny! PS so jealous of your garden, I can't wait to have one! It looks great, I'll have to get your help with mine someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your garden and that Aunt Lynne is just too darn smart! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is funny. I have never had tomato bugs on our plants. I have heard of them though. We get squash bugs. Those are gross and they kill any squash plants that we have. They are attacking out pumpkin plant and I don't think we are going to get any pumpkins. So far we don't have them on our zucchini but we will see. We loved our cauliflower and broccoli. I did think that was a spring plant since it needs to be just a little bit cooler. Not sure. Good luck and hope you enjoy the "fruits of you labor."

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol! once you see the damage those can do to your plants you will want to kill them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That garden is awesome!! That is bug is HUGE!! I would have thought it was a caterpillar too

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya say about that?